Chrome search bar automatically uses old search terms - Super User

Chrome search bar automatically uses old search terms


I have a problem with my google chrome: When I try to search for a term which starts with a string that I previously searched for, that old search term is automatically used. So, assuming I searched for "foo fighters" last week and today I want to search for "foo", when I press Ctrl-L, type "foo" then my search will be "foo fighters" instead of "foo". Is there a way to disable this behavior?



3 Answers 3


The prediction service is turned on by default. Follow these steps to turn it off:



  1. Click the wrench icon tools menu on the browser toolbar.

  2. Select Options (Preferences on Mac and Linux; Settings on Chrome OS).

  3. Click the Under the Hood tab.

  4. In the "Privacy" section, deselect the "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar" checkbox.



Keep in mind that the address bar shows matches from your browsing history, in addition to predictions. If you don't want to see matches from your browsing history, clear your browsing history.


Emphasis added to that last sentence, its important!!

Comments